This mushroom pearl barley risotto is faster to make than using the typical risotto rice and there isn’t much in the difference in the taste. It is a perfect risotto for this time of year and I usually make a big batch which I can freeze in portions for another day. The white wine and Parmesan adds such a depth to the flavour of the risotto while the celery adds a bit of texture.
- 250g Chestnut mushrooms, peeled and sliced
- 500ml Vegetable stock
- 200g Pearl barley, rinsed
- 3 Shallots, peeled and sliced
- 3 sticks of Celery, peeled and chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp Parmesan
- 100ml White wine
- Cook the pearl barley in simmering water for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile fry the Mushrooms, Garlic, Shallots and Celery until tender.
- Drain the Pearl Barley and add to the mushroom mixture.
- Fry for a few mins and then add the wine.
- After a few mins the wine should be absorbed and add the stock.
- Simmer for approx 20 mins stirring occasional until the Barley is tender and the stock has reduced.
- Mix in the Parmesan and season to taste.
This is delicious served with a glass of white wine and some slices of crusty bread.