Coconut macaroons are a classic that reminds me of my childhood but these coconut lime macaroons with white chocolate are a jazzed up version of these. The lime adds a sharpness which is controlled by the honey and vanilla and the chocolate binds it all together. I really enjoy these since they are not too sweet and there is only a few ingredients.
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- 120g desiccated coconut
- 50g white chocolate
The night before:
- Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form and add the lime zest, honey and vanilla.
- Stir in the coconut and mix until well combined.
- Line a tray with grease proof paper and shape the coconut mixture into small balls and place on sheet.
- Cover and leave overnight in the fridge to firm up.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Place the tray in the hot oven for approx 10mins until the coconut is turning golden.
- Remove the coconut macaroons from the oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the macaroons.
- Place in fridge for approx 10mins to chill harden the chocolate.
The coconut lime macaroons with white chocolate are perfect served with a topping of grated lime zest. The mixture is crumbly to eat so make sure you eat over a plate otherwise there will be coconut crumbs all over the floor!