I recently discovered Affogato through friends while on holidays and I was intrigued! It is a Italian dessert which consists of a shot of hot espresso poured over a scoop of ice cream. The only barrier for me is I hate the taste of coffee…. So I decided to alter the classic recipe. Instead of the shot of espresso, I used a shot of hot chocolate, chocolate affogato! Okay hands up, it is more sinful and richer but hey who eats dessert every day….. I usually prepare the first part of the recipe the night before so if I want this for brunch on a Sunday I just have to heat it up or if you are really stuck for time instead of making the hot chocolate from scratch just use coco powder.
- 1 scoop/slice of Vanilla ice cream per person
- 100g dark chocolate
- 200ml milk
- Handfull of crushed hazelnuts
The night before:
- First make the hot chocolate.
- Bring a pan of water to boiling point and then lower the heat to simmering.
- Grate some of the chocolate, enough for a garnish and store in the fridge.
- Break up the rest of the chocolate in a bowl and place over the simmering water to melt, stirring from time to time.
- Heat up the milk to simmering point.
- Remove the chocolate bowl from the pan of simmering water and slowly whisk in the milk to the mixture.
- Cover the hot chocolate and store in fridge overnight.
- Heat up the chocolate milk to simmering point.
- Place a scoop/slice of ice cream in a glass.
- Pour over a shot of the hot chocolate.
This chocolate affogato is lovely served with a garnish of the chocolate grating and crushed hazelnuts….