Pearl barley is my favourite out of all the grains. I can’t get enough of it, it has a bit more texture than cous cous and less gritty than quinoa. I always have a jar of it to spare but it does tend to be used up very quickly….
- 250g Pearl barley
- 1400ml vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 Courgette, cut into wedges
- 1 Sweet potato, cut into wedges
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp Thyme
- 1/2 red chilli, diced finely
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Garlic clove, diced finely
The night before:
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees.
- In a roasting tray, combine the sweet potato, onion and courgette and sprinkle over Thyme, Balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- Roast in oven for approx 30 mins until vegetables are tender.
- Bring stock to simmering point in a pan.
- Add Pearl barley and cook for approx 35 mins until tender.
- Drain and leave aside
- Make the dressing, combine lemon juice, chilli, olive oil and garlic.
- Mix through pearl barley.
This is a lovely summer salad and the chilli helps adds a bit of a kick to the lemon juice dressing. Hope you enjoy!