I only discovered Harissa paste in the last few months and I can’t get enough of it! When I was first making it I was a bit anxious with the amount of chilli’s so I had my glass of milk ready as a emergency. But I am still here, it was not as hot as I feared. The only side effect that it had on me was chilli fingers so wear some light disposable gloves when chopping up these chilli’s.
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 6 red chillis
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp coriander seeds
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Roast chilli’s in hot oven for approx 20 mins until slightly charred.
- After cooking place the chillis in a bowl and cover with clingfilm and allow to cool.
- When cooled remove the skins from the chillis.
- Toast the cumin and coriander seeds for a few mins in a pan until fragrant.
- Put all the ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
This can be stored in a fridge up to 3 days and used in various dishes which I will post over the next few weeks.