This Aubergine and potato casserole is a perfect evening meal, a one pot dish. It is about medium in spiciness with the natural yoghurt adding a cooling element but just add more Harissa paste/chillis for a more intense heat. Sometimes I would serve this with some crusty bread while other times I just eat it on it’s own. This dish would serve 3-4 people and the flavour also develops overnight so it is best made the night before.
- 2 Aubergines, rinsed and cut into chunks
- 1 Onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 200ml Vegetable stock
- 50ml Natural Yoghurt
- 1 tbsp Chilli flakes
- 1 Potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp Harissa Paste
- 100g Pearl Barley
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Fry the onion and garlic until tender and then add in the potato and aubergine.
- Next stir in the harissa and chilli flakes and fry for a few minutes.
- Pop the mixture into a casserole dish and pour over the vegetable stock and stir in the Pearl barley.
- Place into the oven for approx 1 hour until reduced and the pearl barley is tender.
- Serve with a dallop of yoghurt mixed in.