There is a few steps to making these poppy seed and sea salt bagels but it is so worth it! I never had fresh bagels and these were less chewy and dense than the store bought versions. The texture of these look odd when boiled but it evens out in the oven. So don’t worry just keep moving to the next step!
- 25g Butter
- 125ml Milk
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 7g Dried yeast
- 1 Egg separated
- 250g Plain flour
- 1tsp Sea salt
- 2 tbsp Poppy seeds
- Melt the butter and add in the warm milk and honey.
- Mix well and stir in yeast. Cover and leave aside until foamy, approx 5-10 minutes.
- Add this yeast mixture into the flour and knead for approx 5 minutes until the dough is elastic.
- Cover the dough and leave aside for 30 minutes.
- Divide into 4 pieces and mound into a doughnut shape. Stick your finger in the middle and enlarge the hole.
- Then bring a pan of water to simmering point and preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Slide each baguel separately into the simmering water and cook 30 seconds each side.
- Then place on a tray lined with grease proof paper.
- Combine the egg yolk with 1 tbsp of water and brush onto each boiled bagel.
- Scatter over the seeds and salt and pop into the oven for approx 20 minutes until brown.