This week the recipes will be based on using up any leftover easter eggs to make exciting dishes. At this time of the year hot cross buns are very popular and I just baked this variation with coco powder and chocolate chunks which add a bit of a surprise. I love these sweet little breads and they are perfect with a nie cup of tea. This recipe will make about 6 buns but just double the quantity of the ingredients if you want more.
- 150ml Milk
- 350g Plain flour
- 60g Coco powder
- 7g Dried yeast
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1 Egg
- 80g Raisins
- 100g Plain Chocolate cut into chunks
- Warm up the milk and add in the yeast and honey.
- Cover with clingfilm and leave aside for a few minutes until it foams up.
- Meanwhile mix 300g Flour, cinnamon and coco powder together.
- Once the yeast mixture has foamed, mix in the egg.
- Then combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
- Leave aside for 1 hour to rise.
- Next preheat the oven to 190 degrees.
- On a floured surface knead in the raisins and chocolate chunks into the dough.
- Split the dough and shape into little balls
- Place on a tray lined with greasproof paper and brush with milk.
- Pop into the hot oven for 15 minutes approx.
- Then mix the remaining flour with 2 tbsp milk and place in a piping bag.
- Squeeze onto each bun a little cross and pop back into the oven for another 10 minutes.