These Feta and Spinach pies is the perfect comfort food. I made mini pies but if you don’t have the mini tins, a deep cake tin will do the job. For this recipe I just used the ready made pastry which can be bought from the shops and defrosted. Usually I prefer to make my own pastry but when time is short this is the perfect solution. The saltiness of the Feta just combines amazingly with the sweetness of the sun dried tomatoes. An amazing sauce to go with this would be a green pesto mixed with a bit of yoghurt.
- 70g Spinach, rinsed
- 50g Sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 100g Feta Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 300g Ready made Shortcrust pastry
- Handful of pine nuts, toasted
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Wilt the spinach for a few seconds in a hot pan, adding the nutmeg and allow to cool.
- Mix in the egg, pinenuts and Feta with the spinach.
- Season to taste.
- Grease lightly a cake tin with oil and shape in the Shortcrust pastry around the tin, leaving extra for the lattice top. Trim the excess around the edges.
- Place some grease proof paper on top of the pastry and pour in baking beans.
- Blind bake for 15 minutes until the pastry starts to pull away from the edges.
- Remove the baking beans (be careful they will be hot), grease proof paper and brush the pastry with milk.
- Pop back into the oven to lightly brown for approx 10 minutes.
- Remove and place in the filling and set out the lattice pattern on top with the leftover pastry.
- Brush with milk on top and pop back into the oven for approx 15 minutes till golden on top.