This vegetarian shepherds pie is perfect on a chilly evening and the dish can be prepared the night before, ready to pop into the oven. I love the crispiness of the potato on top, it just takes a few more minutes but it is perfect. The lentils add some bulk to the dish and I found the green lentils best at keeping their shape. This dish is an inexpensive dish to prepare and I will be focusing on meals this week which are budget friendly, nutritious and tasty.
- 6 Large Potatoes, peeled
- 100g Green Lentils, rinsed
- 2 Carrots, peeled
- 150g Green Peas
- 200ml Vegetable Stock
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Onions, peeled
- 2 Garlic clove, peeled
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 3 tbsp Milk
- First cut the potatoes into quarters and pop into simmering water for 25 minutes until tender.
- Next slice the onion and dice the carrot and sweat over a medium heat until the onion is translucent.
- Then dice the garlic and add to the onion mixture.
- Add the green lentils, peas, stock and Worcestershire sauce to the onions and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees, drain and mash the potatoes with milk and mustard.
- Add the lentil mixture to a casserole dish and spoon the potato mixture on top.
- Pop into the oven for approx 40 minutes until the potato has turned golden on top.