These Vol au vents are fun to make and it is amazing how much they rise. I try to hollow them out as much as possible to get more filling in as I always make too much! Mushroom can be also added to this recipe but on the day I just felt like cheese n leek!
- 350g Frozen Puff Pastry, thawed
- 1 Egg
- 1 Leek, topped n tailed, chopped and rinsed
- 15ml Milk
- 2 tbsp grated Pamesan cheese
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Flour
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Fold over the pastry and roll to a thickness of approx 5mm.
- Using a glass, cut out circular shapes and place on a tray lined with grease proof paper.
- Beat the egg and using a pastry brush coat the puff shapes.
- Pop into the hot oven for approx 20 mins until slightly golden.
- Meanwhile prepare the cheese sauce by melting the butter and adding the flour until combined.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and simmer until thick, then add the cheese.
- Fry the leeks until soft.
- Take the puff pastry out of the oven and with a knife cut a inner circle and remove.
- Add the leeks and cheese sauce and pop back in for another 5 mins.