This fig and almond tart is full of flavour and plenty of texture. The cake’s base is a shortcrust layer, topped with a sweet fig jam layer and finished with a soft sponge cake. It is perfect served with a bit of cream on the side with a cup of tea.
- 400g Plain flour
- 300g Butter
- 3 tbsp Honey
- 2 Eggs
- 4 tbsp Fig Jam
- 50g Ground Almonds
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essense
- 2-3 dried figs sliced
- Crumble 100g butter into 200g flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add 2 tbsp of water to form a dough and leave in fridge for 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Grease a flan dish and roll out the pastry and fit into the dish.
- Trim off the excess pastry around the side and place a sheet of grease proof paper on top.
- Place in baking beans and pop into the oven for approx 20 mins.
- Remove, allow to cool and remove the baking beans and paper.
- Prick the base of the pastry and brush over a bit of milk.
- Pop back into the oven until brown.
- Spread the jam around the base.
- Now make the sponge layer.
- Melt the remaining butter and mix with the remaining flour.
- Add in the egg, vanilla essence, ground almonds, honey and mix until smooth.
- Pour over the base and spread over the sliced figs.
- Pop into the oven for approx 30 mins until golden.