This fig jam is really sweet and works great with savoury ingredients. I try and use fresh figs when I can get these but dried figs work fine too. You can tell when the jam is cooked by the colour. When blended the colour of the mixture is light brown but the colour turns a dark brown when cooked and pulls away from the sides of the pan. I love this served on toasted bread with Goats cheese and toasted pine nuts, rocket leaves is also a nice addition.
- 100g Jam Sugar
- 250g Dried Figs, chopped
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 Garlic, peeled and chopped
- 50ml Red Wine
- Fry the onions and garlic until soft.
- Add in the figs, balsamic vinegar, red wine and 200ml of water.
- Simmer for 10 mins until the figs are soft.
- Allow to cool and blitz all the ingredients until smooth.
- Pour back into a pan and bring to simmering point.
- Add the sugar and consistently stir for approx 30 mins over a medium heat.