Piccalilli is an English version of an Indian Pickle which contains a variety of vegetables with a pickling liquid of vinegar, mustard and turmeric. After it is prepared I usually leave it in the fridge for about a week before opening for the flavours to develop but it can be left longer for a more intense taste. This is really good on melted cheese toast.
- 1/2 head of Cauliflower, rinsed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 head of Broccoli, rinsed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 50g Green beans, rinsed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 tbsp dried Chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Turmeric
- 4 tbsp Plain flour
- 350ml White wine vinegar
- 2 cloves of Garlic, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 100g Salt
- 1 tbsp Mustard
- Place the broccoli, cauliflower and green beans in a bowl and sprinkle with salt, leave overnight to draw out some moisture.
- Rinse the vegetables the next day and simmer in a pan of water for approx 5 mins.
- Simmer the vinegar and garlic with 200ml of water for approx 20 mins.
- Take approx 2 tbsp of this vinegar mixture to a separate pan and add the flour, turmeric, cumin, chilli, mustard and honey to form a paste over a low heat.
- Slowly add the rest of the vinegar mixture while whisking to ensure no lumps are formed.
- Pack all the vegetables in a sterilised jar and pour over the vinegar mixture.
- Store in a cool dark place.