I first made this cake a couple of years ago and I prefer it over a crumble since it is more filling and a bit more bite. It is perfect served with some hot homemade custard. I have reduced the amount of honey in this recipes since I chose to use sweet red apples which provides plenty of sweetness compared to the green versions.
- 250g Butter
- 4 tbsp Honey
- 4 eggs
- 300g Plain flour
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- 300g Red Apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Preheat an oven to 190 degrees.
- Beat 200g melted butter with 2tbsp honey and eggs.
- Sieve in the 150g flour, baking powder and mix well to form a lump free batter.
- Grease a cake tin.
- Pour in the batter and pop into the hot oven for approx 20 mins until golden.
- Simmer the apples with 100ml water, 2 tbsp honey, vanilla essence and cinnamon under tender.
- Next make the crumble by rubbing the butter into the remaining flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Spread the apple mixture over the cake base and sprinkle over the crumble mixture.
- Bake in the oven until golden.
- Allow to cool and remove from cake tin.