A perfect mid week treat is this custard and raspberry/rhuburb jelly. I find the custard tastes a lot better when the corn flour is substituted with plain flour. The raspberry helps gives the rhuburb jelly a more attractive colour and a sweeter taste. Allow the custard to cool before pouring over the jelly since hot custard will melt the jelly.
- 300g Rhubarb topped and tailed
- 4tbsp Honey
- 1 orange, juiced
- 3 tsp Gelatin powder
- 4 squares of Raspberry jelly cubes
- 200ml Double cream
- 4 Egg yolks
- 3 tbsp Plain flour
- 200ml milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- Chop up the rhubarb and place in a pan with the orange and 2 tbsp honey.
- Simmer until disintegrated.
- Sieve the rhubarb and keep the juice.
- Melt the raspberry jelly with the gelatin in a small portion of water and add 150ml of the rhubarb juice.
- Pour the jelly in the serving bowls and place in the fridge to set for approx an hour.
- Next make the custard.
- Heat the milk and cream up to simmering point.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs, flour and remaining honey.
- Slowly add in about 1/4 of the hot milk in batches, beating all the time.
- Add in the rest and return to the pan over a low heat.
- Continuously beat until it thickens.
- Allow to cool and pour over the set jelly.
- Place in fridge to chill for approx 20 mins.
- To serve sprinkle over some grated chocolate.