I always loved pop tarts with their crispy exterior and soft sweet centres…. I decided to try and make some over the weekend and the results were amazing and it was really simple to make. They are not as sweet as the commercial alternatives which I prefer but they tend to go quicker! To speed things up instead of making jam, store bought jam can be used as an alternative.
- 100g Flour
- 100g Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 150g Strawberries
- 70g Jam Sugar
- 50g Icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp hundreds and thousands
- First make the dough, rub in the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in 1 egg with 3 tbsp of water and mix to form a dough. Set aside in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile make the jam, blitz the strawberries with 3 tbsp of water.
- Place in pan with jam sugar and simmer for 40 mins. This will thicken as it cools so place in fridge for 20 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface and divide into two portions.
- Roll out the two portions into thin sheets and cut into rectangles.
- Place onto a grease proof lined baking tray.
- Beat the remaining egg and brush around the edges of half of the rectangles.
- Place the jam into the centre and place another rectangle on top.
- Press the edges with a fork to seal and brush the top with the beaten egg.
- Place in a hot oven for approx 30 mins or until brown.
- Allow to cool and mix the icing sugar with 3 tbsp of water to form a thick paste.
- Spread on top of each poptart and sprinkle with hundreds and thousands.
- Place in the fridge for 20 mins.