My greatest weakness in cooking has always been meringues… not for taste just I could never cook them right, either they go brown or they flatten in the oven or they just wont go crisp. So I set myself a challenge for the last few weeks to resolve this, yes it took me a few weeks… but I have learned where I have gone wrong. No 1, I have always set the oven too high and didn’t have enough patience to wait and No 2, I didn’t whisk them enough. But now I am proud to say Ta Dahhh I am able to cook them perfectly with a low set temperature and a sore arm! So to kick start this week I have put up this cute little recipe which is addictive but fun to make. Believe me they wont last long…..
- Handful of mini marshmallows
- 3 tbsp of Strawberry jam
- 100g Dark chocolate
- 4 Egg whites
- 100g Caster suagr
- 100g Icing sugar
- 1 tsp White wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 100 degrees.
- Whip the egg whites until they form soft peaks and slowly add in the icing and caster sugar 1 tbsp at a time while whisking.
- Add in the vinegar.
- Line a baking tray with grease proof paper and arrange the marshmallows evenly spaced out.
- Heat up the jam and brush it on the inside of a piping bag.
- Spoon the meringue mixture in the piping bag approx half way and twist the top.
- Squeeze out on top of the marshmallows into bite size pieces.
- Pop into the oven for approx 1.5 hours.
- Meanwhile melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water.
- When the meringues are cooked, allow to cool and dip the bases into the chocolate.
- Place back onto the grease proof paper and pop into the fridge for 15 mins.