This week I will be focusing on savoury pastry dishes, which I have based around my favourite ingredients. This beetroot and goats cheese pie is light and perfect served with salad for a light lunch or supper. I experimented making my own pastry but time can be saved buying a pre made version.
- 2 cooked Beetroots, peeled and diced
- 250g Plain flour
- 220g Butter
- 150ml Cold water
- 30g Pine nuts
- 1 Red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 80g Goats cheese
- 2 tbsp Milk
- First make the puff pastry.
- Break up the butter in the flour until it is approx the size of beans.
- Add water to form dough.
- Place in fridge for 20 mins.
- Roll into rectangle shapes onto a floured surface. Fold down 1/3 of pastry to centre and fold the opposite side.
- Roll out and repeat for several times in the opposite directions.
- Chill for another 20 mins.
- Fry the the onion until soft and add the brown sugar to allow the onions to caramalise.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Roll out the pastry onto a floured surface and cut into squares.
- Place the squares on a tray lined with greaseproof paper and layer on the beetroot, goats cheese, red onion and pine nuts.
- Drizzle over the balsamic vinegar and brush milk on the edges of the pastry.
- Pop into the oven for approx 20 mins until brown.