I was hesitant to try this soup for years but once I did I was surprised how sweet it tasted. This soup is quick to make and is perfect to bring in to work the next day for lunch. Although I have to warn it does bring on the tear works when preparing!
- 50g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large onions sliced
- 4 shallots sliced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- 150ml white wine
- 1 tbsp dried Thyme
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4-5 slices stale bread
- 140g Gruyere cheese
Preparation the night before
- Melt butter in hot pan and add oil.
- Add onions and shallots and fry until soft.
- Mix in garlic and fry for a few mins, then add sugar to caramalise.
- Mix in flour until all juices are absorbed.
- Pour in white wine, stock, Worcestershire sauce, Thyme and simmer for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile grill cheese on bread until brown.
Just before serving put the bread into bowl and spoon over the hot soup.